Perogies with Mushrooms and Onions
Perogies are a kind of dumpling filled with potato and other ingredients. They are healthy, great tasting and quick, making them a perfect urban meal.
Today, I will teach you how to make a great tasting perogi dish that anyone can cook based on common ingredients from the supermarket.
In todays fast paced world, we don't have time to make perogies from scratch. It is more cost and time effective to pick up a bag from your local grocer. Today you can get perogies stuffed with many different kinds of filling. To start, choose a basic one like potato, or potato and cheese!
To make this dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of perogies
- 1 medium white onion
- 6-8 small brown or white mushrooms
- 1 table spoon butter or margarine
- 1 container of sour cream
- 2 strips of sliced bacon
- Chives (optionally)
Makes 1 - 2 servings
Note: For a vegetarian treat, substitue the 2 strips of bacon with 1.5 tablespoons of butter or margarine.
1) Dice white onion into small peices. Amount of onion used is based on amount you prefer! I usually use a whole medium onion, or half a large onion.
2) Cut bacon into small strips. This will increase the speed of cooking, and the bacon fat will be used to cook the perogies and give them a wonderful taste.
3) Slice mushrooms into small peices. I prefer brown mushrooms for the flavor, but you can also substitue with white mushrooms.
1) Put bacon into frying pan on medium to high heat. Let cook until the bacon is done, but is not crisp.
2) Add the butter or margine, and let it melt.
3) Mix in the onions and mushrooms. Let the onions and mushrooms heat in the pan abit until they are soft.
4) Add perogies to the frying pan. Move the other ingredients out of the way so the perogie surface is in direct contact with the pan.
5) Let the perogies cook for 5 minutes or until desired surface texture is reached. Personally I like my perogies crispy, but some people like them soft! Make sure to stir the bacon, mushrooms, and onions around as well, so they don't burn and the perogies absorb the flavor!
6) Flip perogies and let the other side cook!
7) When the perogies have reached the desired surface texture remove from heat and stir.
1) Put perogies on a plate with bacon, mushroom, and onion mixture. They should not need much else for seasoning.
2) Serve perogies with sour cream on the side. Sprinkle sour cream with chives for a wonderful look!